Happy Labor Day!! How will you spend the last official weekend of summer?
Whatever you do, making healthy choices will help you to feel super fab and energized when the weekend comes to an end.
Here are some tips for having a healthy Labor Day weekend:
- Stay active: If you’re leaving town, take your athletic shoes and go for a walk or run. If you are going camping or heading to the lake, go swimming or go for a hike. (See below for my Wilderness Workout). If you are staying at home, you have no excuse not to exercise.
- Choose your indulgences carefully: If you are at a barbecue, fill up on lean meat and salads then indulge in a couple cocktails or a dessert. Don’t fill your plate with potato salad, pasta salad, coleslaw AND have cocktails AND dessert. It’s just too much.
- Beware of the salad: Potato salad and pasta salad really don’t deserve to be called salad. They are made with mayonnaise and very few veggies. Stick to green salads.
- Stay hydrated: If you are out in the sun this is very important. If you are out in the sun and drinking alcohol this is extremely important. Switch between alcohol and water.
If you are headed to a campsite or spending the day at the lake this Labor Day weekend, try my Wilderness Workout! This workout is a combination of heart pumping cardio exercises and strength exercises that will help create lean muscles. You will feel more energized, not to mention feel more sleek in your swimsuit!
- First, find a level surface without major holes, rocks, branches, etc.
- All you need is athletic shoes, workout clothes and a bottle of water to keep you hydrated.
- Warm up with a 5 minute walk.
- Do each exercise 20 times. Then start from the beginning and do them again 10 times each. Then 5 times each.
- Take a 5-10 minute walk to cool down, then stretch.
- Squats - Lean back into your heels and make sure your knees don’t go in front of your toes. Keep your chest lifted.
- Jumping Jacks
- Incline Push Ups - using a bench, chair, picnic table or railing, place hands on edge, slightly wider than shoulder width. Bend elbows and lower chest to edge, push up until arms are extended.
- High Knees - run in place with an exaggerated knee lift. 1 rep is lifting both legs.
- Side Lunges - keep your left leg straight, step right leg to the side, bending right knee. push off right leg to start position. repeat on left side. this is 1 rep. keep your chest lifted
- Football Feet - run in place with a wide stance then narrow stance. step your right foot out more than hip width, then step your left foot out. step your right foot in directly under your body, step your left foot in. feet will move out, out, in, in.
Have a happy and healthy Labor Day!!